Guest Post by gloProfessional’s National Educator, Ami Shvartzman.
30 may well be the new 20 but looking like a 20 year old requires a bit more maintenance! Dull, dehydrated skin, fine lines and sun damage often start to appear in our 30’s and bad habits are usually the culprit. This is the time to fess up to your skin care sins and enhance your current skin care regimen.
Try the following:
1. Clean, Exfoliate, Brighten - Cleansing is by far the most important step in skin care because clean skin is essential for healthy skin. Dull skin can make us look older than we actually are so actively combat dullness with an exfoliant like Daily Polishing Cleanser. This gentle powder cleanser and exfoliant contains Sepiwhite (a lightening agent to help eliminate darkness in the skin) and it also travels wonderfully. Talk about a multitasker!
2. Speed Up Cell Turnover - As we move into our 30’s our cell renewal rate tends to slow down. Exfoliating with ingredients like Alpha Hydroxy Acid and Retinol help remove dead skin cell layers which helps speed up skin renewal! Try a serum like Retinol CS - it’s a great combo of 3% Retinol, 5% Glycolic Acid (a wonderful alpha hydroxy acid) and several brighteners for an overall rejuvenating effect!
3. Show Antioxidants Some Love - Antioxidants, or miracle workers as I like to call them, help repair and prevent damage to the skin. They also increase collagen production, promote healing and help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Try 15% Vitamin C to help protect the skin against sun damage, cell damage and to reduce discoloration.
4. Gulp It Down - Drinking enough water is essential for the overall health of the body but is specifically important to the skin in our anti-aging quest. Drinking enough water gives our skin a fresh, radiant glow so give the largest organ in your body what it needs and drink at least 64 ounces per day!
5. Nourish It - Not only is hydrating the skin internally by drinking enough water extremely important but it’s also important to hydrate it externally as well. Since hydrated skin shows fewer signs of aging, we suggest increasing your use of moisturizers and hydrating serums. Applying a topical hydrator like B5 Hydration helps restore the skin’s suppleness with the perfect balance of nourishment and hydration.
6. Protect and Strengthen Skin - Hopefully at this stage you are wearing sunscreen on a daily basis because we all know by now that unprotected sun exposure will cause wrinkles! Now is the time to bump it up a notch and reapply as needed throughout the day! Try SPF 40 Facial Moisturizer which contains physical blocks like zinc and iron oxides. It also has Shea Butter and Hyaluronic Acid to hydrate the skin and Copper Peptides for an anti-aging effect.
7. Look Well Rested (Even If You’re Not) - Between your work schedule, keeping up with kids and traveling, your thirties can be one of the busiest times of your life! It’s also a time when dark circles start to develop! Using products like Vital Eye Cream can help cut down on puffiness and dark under eye circles while hydrating the under eye area.
More skin care tips by age here:
Skin Care Tips for Your 20s
Skin Care Tips for Your 40s