Our friends at American Spa Magazine really know their stuff when it comes to skin care. We particularly enjoyed their recent article, “Practicing Safe Sun.” This article breaks down the importance of using a mineral, or physical, sunscreen and we encourage everyone to read the article! Here's a brief recap of 5 important points.
1) We all know that skin cancer is a serious problem but this fact really puts it in perspective: One person in the United States dies from melanoma every hour. In addition, the National Cancer Institute blames artificial UV sources as the major cause for the rapid rise in malignant melanoma in young women.
2) Sunscreens come in two forms: Chemical and Physical. Chemical sunscreens absorb the sun’s rays while physical formulas deflect ultraviolet rays. Which formulation is best for you? Most dermatologist will recommend a physical sunscreen because of their ability to block both UVA and UVB rays. In addition, they are gentler on the skin and will last longer in the bottle.
3) Look for sunscreens that block both UVB rays, which cause our skin to burn, and UVA rays, which create sunspots, wrinkles, and sagging skin. However, it’s important to remember that both UVA and UVB rays can cause skin cancer.
4) Avoid sunscreens that contain an SPF content lower than 15. Sunscreens that have an SPF of 15 or less can help prevent your skin from burning but won’t protect your skin against skin cancer or aging.
5) Sunscreens that contain ingredients like green tea and vitamin C not only help protect your skin but they also help reverse the signs of aging. Try our Protective Powder which has an SPF of 30 plus essential vitamins and nutrients for overall skin health.
Shop all sunscreens here!
Labels: Skin Care